Although there is a strong trend toward direct online sales, the majority of consumers still prefer to deal with agents when it comes to their insurance purchases.
Accenture’s survey of 4,000 US personal lines insurance consumers found that:
- More than 90 percent of consumers trust independent agents when seeking advice on their insurance needs.
- Exclusive agents garner the trust of 81 percent of consumers.
- Aggregators trail at only 54 percent.
- Almost 60 percent of consumers we surveyed find that when they talk to someone, they understand their policies better.
If you’ve been following this blog series, you’ll note, preferences are as diverse as the customers themselves. The key to responding as an insurer is to recognize the diversity of consumers’ buyer values and preferences. A multichannel approach is increasingly an imperative for insurers as customers grow accustomed to the digital experience.
To learn more:
- Read: Accenture US Personal Lines Insurance Consumer Survey: What high performance insurers are doing to achieve growth in a dormant market (PDF; opens in new window).